Sunday, July 18, 2010

Compenium of Curiosities Challenge Week 5

Hello, everyone! Here we are in week 5 of the Compendium of Curiosities Challenge! It's going by so fast! This week's challenge was to use the Distress Embossing Powder and I must say all the projects entered over at Studio L3 are so creative and gorgeous! You must check them all out.

Here is how Linda puts the week 5 challenge:

Please open your Compendium of Curiosities to page 43, for the Distress Powder technique!



I get the impression that Distress Powder is something people either really love, or really don't like at all. I fall wholeheartedly into the LOVE camp, and my mission this week is to convert anyone who doesn't. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I consider it one of the coolest products to ever hit the crafting market.

The thing is, it's so much more than just an embossing powder, and as I've played with it I've come to think of it more as "Distress Heat-Activated Texture Enhancer of Wonder." When I want the utmost in grungy, down-and-dirty, been-around-the-block-and-all-the-better-for-it art, this is my go-to product. When I want to create a sandy beach, a gravel pathway, or even a flocked faux fabric, I grab the Distress Powder. And of course, when I want a cool, texturized, completely unique embossed effect, nothing else comes close.
 
Of course, I created a scrapbook page using the technique. Here are the photos of the paper I used the Tim's technique on and the layout I used the paper in. Thanks for looking!
 
Beauty Bird Paper. Used Distress Inks Antique Linen as a base color, Antique Linen Distress Embossing Powder and Ink for the birds, then inked over everything in Broken China. I love how rich the colors came out!

Beauty. layout. I used the Beauty Bird Paper as a backdrop for a vintage photo of my aunt Esmerlinda. I used a variety of flowers, some Thickers that I covered in Turquoise Stickles, and my Cricut Expression to cut the flourishes.

2 comments:

  1. Celina, I so enjoy your art! You make such beautiful things, every time, and this is no exception. The combo of Antique Linen and Broken China is gorgeous, and your Distress Powder embossing is perfect.

    I've never been a scrapbooker, but seeing this layout makes me want to give it a shot. It is STUNNING! And your aunt is indeed a beauty.

    Well done! I just love this. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this is so gorgoeus Celina!! you did fantastic!!! love the layer and flowers!! beautiful photo !!!

    ReplyDelete